Happiness Is...

  • When he brings home teabags
  • When he takes one of my children to the shop with him
  • When he dances
  • When he paints
  • When my children ask where he is
  • When he gives me his last $100 to pay my bills
  • When he wants to go for ‘a look in town’ at one in the morning
  • When he will listen to one CD on continuous replay for two weeks
  • When he does ‘voices’
  • When one of my children wants to speak to him on the phone after me
  • When he goes out of a rainy night to get rubbish bags
  • When he tells me I’m his favourite – even though he tells others too
  • When he laughs unashamedly
  • When he encourages me to go out with friends – male or female
  • When he tries to clean up
  • When he plants stone-trees
  • When he brings home surprises
  • When he sings
  • When he is complicated
  • When we are with others
  • When he talks to my best friends for hours on the phone
  • When he is naked
  • When he gives me his attention
  • When he is freshly shaved
  • When he goes to pick up my children
  • When he feeds me
  • When he says he’ll never love me
  • When he has a day that he likes people
  • When he is peaceful

blah Journal April – Dec 1998